Norfolk Pathways for People is a community coalition that advocates for the development and improvement of connected pathways in Norfolk County. We also promote the regular use of trails, sidewalks and roadways for health, recreation and active transportation. We are supported by the Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit and consist of members from trail organizations, the general public, and Community Development Division.
- Advocating for new and improved trails and pathways in Norfolk County.
- Building a healthier, accessible and connected community.
- Promoting the safe use of local trails and pathways.
Norfolk Pathways for People grew from local interest in a public health initiative to work towards building walkable communities. Walkable communities are an important aspect of a healthy and vibrant community. To encourage citizens to rely on their cars less and choose walking more often, the environment in which they live, work, learn and play must support walking as a safe form of everyday transportation.
Since forming in 2008, we have been busy!
- hosting and promoting public events to encourage use of local trails
- promoting the Share the Road initiative to Norfolk County and expanding
- our efforts to include advocating for safe cycling infrastructure
- offering our support to both county and provincial initiatives and policies that support Active Transportation
- producing a newsletter for sharing local trail information, events and projects
- maintaining a Facebook page for more immediate notifications
- Check out our resume to see what we’ve been up to. Meet our members in our video promoting pathways for people!
We will continue to be a voice advocating for public spaces and policies that support people making healthy choices. We hope to build more public support and demand for infrastructure changes [connected sidewalks, paved shoulders, trail connectivity] that will make our communities more accessible and safer for users of all ages and abilities. Improvements to the built environment, that support walking and cycling, help to make the healthy choice the easy choice. See you on the trails!
We encourage members of the public to bring forward areas of concern. Contact us!